Performing Monkey

I have been considering my movement in my performance and the transition of me going into song.

what I have come up with is the idea of taking on the form of a chimpanzee… hold that thought:

I get called a ‘performing monkey’ – this is reflective of everyone in the audience aswell as me, as a physical representation of a monkey I hope to show that I speak for all of us

-In my summer office job, I turned up to a fancy job in the heart of the city, high up, window view. I was head of reception, on my own… my own desk, and big responsibilities for a big business. I HAD NO CLUE HOW OR WHY THEY CHOSE ME. I am an ape! a buffoon! I don’t know what im doing…. I turned up in a dungarees for goodness sake! but that was my role. and so, like training a monkey, I had this responsibility. which obviously meant, anything I got told went in one ear… and then I was looking out of the window at birds, distant smoke… thinking of song lyrics I could make up… I wrote a book on my life as I sat there… I painted my toe nails… I straightened my hair AT THE DESK… I ate… I played music. DISTRACTED. restricted. THE NEED TO BE ACTIVE.

With the monkey idea, (my strong point is physicality as we learned last week in the 3 hats) I want to project an ape, that enters the room, a spectacle of body physicality, and then the office scene enters and its the unknown. a monkey at a computer. hitting buttons that make noise. swirling around on the chair (which I did) putting boxes on my head (which I got caught doing)… we were all born as apes. and then we have developed so much into … this. this is now life. office work. and routine. NO NO. the noises created by the thrashing around of the monkey character begins the music before the spoken song kicks in.

I become more robotic. tames by the computer and the systems. representing how damaging this type of job is for creative minds with so much energy and talent. the routin becomes normal –  I become more humanised, by technology, by overriding systems and basically a shit job. so – to escape it – the key board noises take me into a DREAM WORLD…

queue music (created by computer sounds and looping my voice – humming out of boredom etc – a wake up call, from myself to myself but also to the audience.

daydream  – office – peoples voices – telling me not to – putting me down – then eventually I become a hard worker – then it’s a shame – im accomplishing shit – proud – new person – I tell co-workers off for dreaming –

*do a french mime act and bump into the wall you put there in your next character**

Bit of tension music please *cue hype music*